McInerney rescues Union in wild draw against TFCApr 13, 2013 - 10:25 PM Chester, PA (Sports Network) - Jack McInerney rescued a point for Philadelphia on Saturday with a stoppage time equalizer as the Union salvaged a 1-1 draw with Toronto FC at PPL Park.
Both teams had several chances to score in the first half and it appeared Toronto FC had found the breakthrough in the 13th minute when Justin Braun snuck through the Philadelphia back line and put it past Union goalkeeper Zac MacMath, but the offside flag was raised.
It was a sloppy first half as both teams had trouble keeping the ball and it remained scoreless at the intermission.
After the break, Philadelphia had the better of the play and put several shots on goal, but Toronto capitalized on a defensive lapse to take the lead in the 71st minute.
MacMath launched the ball up field with a goal kick, but the kick was intercepted by TFC's Ashtone Morgan, who lofted it over the top of a sleeping Philadelphia backline which allowed Robert Earnshaw to run onto it and chip it over MacMath.
Trailing late in the match, Philadelphia utilized a substitution to bring on new Designated Player Kleberson for his Union debut.
The Brazilian World Cup veteran created several chances for his side and put one on goal left a left-footed half-volley that looked to be heading for the bottom left corner, but TFC goalkeeper Joe Bendik made a diving save to keep it out.
Philadelphia pushed numbers forward in stoppage time, switching to a three-man back line and were rewarded for their offensive persistence when Sheanon Williams launched a long throw-in into the box. The ball bounced around among bodied before coming to a wide-open McInerney, who made no mistake.
Just moments later, Philadelphia had a golden opportunity to grab a late winner when Antoine Hoppenot was put through on goal, but Bendik made a match- saving stop to keep the sides level.
- TORONTO FC: 1
Apr 13 6:06 PM
- Toronto Goal - Earnshaw 5 (Morgan), 71st minute
Toronto FC 1, Union 0 2nd - 70'Apr 13 5:42 PM
- TORONTO FC: 0
Apr 13 4:56 PM
- TORONTO FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 13 4:08 PM
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Villa's brace propels NYC past TFC Jun 20
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- TFC, NYC aim to continue winning ways Jun 19