Sounders hold off Rapids to claim first winApr 21, 2013 - 12:06 AM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - Obafemi Martins tallied his first goal for Seattle Sounders FC as the club claimed its first victory of the season, 1-0, over the Colorado Rapids at Dick's Sporting Goods Park on Saturday.
Martins netted the lone goal in the 27th minute after Rapids goalkeeper Clint Irwin saved a shot from Shalrie Joseph, bringing an end to a five-match winless streak for Seattle.
Colorado had chances after the break, but was twice denied by the woodwork, snapping a two-match winning streak.
It took until the 27th minute for the match to really spring to life, and Joseph's shot was teed up by Steve Zakuani, while Martins was on hand to knock home the rebound from 10 yards.
The Nigerian nearly turned provider a few minutes later when he played Lamar Neagle in on goal, only for the shot to come back off the crossbar.
Colorado was much better after the break and Dillon Powers rolled a shot just wide from the edge of the penalty area before Brian Mullan's right-wing cross was nodded off the crossbar by Atiba Harris on the hour mark.
Irwin kept the Rapids within a goal when he parried a powerful shot from Neagle in the 72nd, but the closest the home side came to an equalizer was an 85th-minute volley from Kamani Hill which struck the post.
- SEATTLE: 1
Apr 20 8:03 PM
- SEATTLE: 1
Apr 20 6:54 PM
- Seattle Goal - Martins 1 (unassisted), 27th minute
Sounders FC 1, Rapids 0 1st - 30'Apr 20 6:38 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 20 6:08 PM
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18