Man of Steele: Red Bulls thrash RevolutionApr 21, 2013 - 1:21 AM Harrison, NJ (Sports Network) - Jonny Steele scored and added an assist on Saturday as the New York Red Bulls thrashed the New England Revolution by a 4-1 count at Red Bull Arena.
Coming off a disappointing home defeat to Sporting Kansas City last Wednesday, the Red Bulls roared out of the gate, scoring two goals inside the first eight minutes of the match to grab control.
The Red Bulls opened the flood gates just four minutes into the match when Steele whipped a cross into the box that was chested down by Tim Cahill. Cahill then laid it off to Dax McCarty, who ripped a left-footed strike past Revs goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth for the early lead.
But the Revs found an unlikely equalizer just two minutes later when A. J. Soares ripped a free kick into the box and it was nodded home New York defender Brandon Barklage for the own goal.
Barklage atoned for his mistake in the eighth minute when he sent a pinpoint long ball down the right wing for Fabian Espindola, who collected the pass, cut to the inside and beat Shuttleworth low to the far post to put New York back on top.
The Red Bulls put the game out of reach with eight minutes to play after Steele slid a perfect through ball to Thierry Henry, who took a quick touch to control and beat Shuttleworth with a perfectly-placed strike.
Steele completed his stellar night in the final minute of regulation after he corralled a quick pass from Eric Alexander and ripped it home to secure the three points for New York.
The result moves the Red Bulls up to 11 points from nine matches, while the Revolution remain on five points from six matches.
- NEW ENGLAND: 1
NEW YORK: 4
Apr 20 9:01 PM
- New York Goal - Steele 1 (Alexander, Akpan), 89th minute
Revolution 1, Red Bulls 4 2nd - 87'Apr 20 9:01 PM
- New York Goal - Henry 3 (Steele) 82nd minute
Revolution 1, Red Bulls 3 2nd - 85'Apr 20 8:53 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 1
NEW YORK: 2
Apr 20 7:56 PM
- New York Goal - Espindola 3 (Barklage), 8th minute
Revolution 1, Red Bulls 2 1st - 15'Apr 20 7:23 PM
- New York Goal - McCarty 2 (Cahill), 4th minute
Revolution 0, Red Bulls 1 1st - 5'Apr 20 7:17 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 20 7:09 PM
- Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls down NYCFC at Yankee Stadium Jun 29
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Red Bulls, NYCFC set for New York derby Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19