Jahn leaves it late as 'Quakes, Timbers play to drawApr 22, 2013 - 5:11 AM Santa Clara, CA (Sports Network) - Adam Jahn's strike deep in stoppage time rescued a point for the San Jose Earthquakes in a hard-fought 1-1 draw with the Portland Timbers on Sunday at Buck Shaw Stadium.
The Western Conference rivals met at JELD-WEN Field just seven days ago and Portland captain Will Johnson powered his side to victory with a spectacular free kick.
San Jose was on the front foot early on as forwards Chris Wondolowski and Steven Lenhart both had excellent looks on goal in the first 20 minutes of play, but Timbers goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts made a pair of big saves to keep his side from falling behind early.
Portland wasn't able to generate much in the way of offensive chances in the first half, but broke the deadlock in the 58th minute when Ryan Johnson ran onto a nice through ball in the box and ripped a shot toward goal that was blocked. The ball popped up following the shot and Designated Player Diego Valeri was there to slam it home on the half-volley to put the visitors ahead.
San Jose had a few chances down the stretch and it looked as if the Timbers would hold on, but Jahn collected a loose ball in the Portland penalty area and ripped it past Ricketts in the second minute of stoppage time to put the sides back on level terms.
The result sees the Earthquakes up to nine points from their first eight matches, but they have yet to claim three points since a 1-0 triumph over the Seattle Sounders on March 23, while the Timbers move to 10 points on the campaign and extend their unbeaten run in league play to five consecutive matches.
- PORTLAND: 1
SAN JOSE: 1
Apr 22 1:00 AM
- San Jose Goal - Jahn 2 (unassisted), 90th minute
Timbers 1, Earthquakes 1 2nd - 88'Apr 22 12:59 AM
- Portland Goal - Valeri 2 (unassisted), 58th minute
Timbers 1, Earthquakes 0 2nd - 60'Apr 22 12:27 AM
- PORTLAND: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
Apr 21 11:54 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 21 11:07 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Adi's brace helps Timbers topple Revs Jun 7
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5