Cahill's late goal leads New York past TFCApr 27, 2013 - 8:14 PM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Tim Cahill snatched three points for Red Bull New York on Saturday when he netted his second goal of the contest in the 89th minute to lift New York to a 2-1 win over Toronto FC at BMO Field.
Cahill's first tally came in the 39th, while TFC looked to have stolen a point as substitute Jonathan Osorio netted his second goal of the campaign in the 83rd minute.
But a poor clearance from Toronto defender Ashtone Morgan led to Cahill's second goal, giving the Red Bulls three wins from their last four matches.
The home side went behind shortly before the break when Roy Miller rolled a ball into the area from the left wing, where Thierry Henry produced a great fake to leave it for Cahill to tuck inside the left post.
Toronto goalkeeper Joe Bendik made a fine stop on Fabian Espindola in first- half stoppage time to keep his team within a goal, and he was fortunate to watch a shot from Henry sail just over the crossbar in the 65th minute.
Despite a poor first 80 minutes, Toronto grabbed an unlikely equalizer in the 83rd when New York goalkeeper Luis Robles came for a free kick and was unable to connect with the ball.
Ryan Richter gained possession and laid it off to Osorio, who lobbed his shot over the head of defender Jamison Olave on the goal line with Robles out of position.
Toronto had barely done enough to be on level terms, and the hosts gave the goal back in the closing minutes when Morgan's failed clearance led to a cross from Henry that was headed home by Cahill from a few yards.
The result extends TFC's winless streak to six games.
- NEW YORK: 2
TORONTO FC: 1
Apr 27 4:00 PM
- New York Goal - Cahill 2 (Henry, Luyindula) 89th minute
Red Bulls 2, Toronto FC 1 2nd - 89'Apr 27 3:59 PM
- Toronto Goal - Osorio 2 (Richter), 83rd minute
Red Bulls 1, Toronto FC 1 2nd - 86'Apr 27 3:53 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
TORONTO FC: 0
Apr 27 2:55 PM
- New York Goal - Cahill 1 (Miller), 39th minute
Red Bulls 1, Toronto FC 0 1st - 42'Apr 27 2:51 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
TORONTO FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 27 2:08 PM
- Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls down NYCFC at Yankee Stadium Jun 29
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Red Bulls, NYCFC set for New York derby Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Villa's brace propels NYC past TFC Jun 20
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- TFC, NYC aim to continue winning ways Jun 19
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19