McInerney, MacMath lift Union past FireMay 11, 2013 - 9:11 PM Bridgeview, IL (Sports Network) - Jack McInerney's tally 15 minutes from time was enough to lift the Philadelphia Union to a 1-0 win over the Chicago Fire on Saturday at Toyota Park.
McInerney entered the match tied for the league-lead with six tallies on the season and his seventh of the campaign, along with a stellar performance from goalkeeper Zac MacMath ensured the Union claimed three points on the road.
Chicago was on the front foot for almost the entire first half and had its first great chance in the 20th minute when Chris Rolfe ripped one on net, but it swerved past MacMath's near post.
After the break, Chicago kept coming in waves as Joel Lindpere let one go from outside the box in the 50th minute that looked to be headed for the far corner, but MacMath came out to make a great diving stop.
Philadelphia finally made the Fire pay for their wasted chances when Sebastien Le Toux sent a perfectly-weighted ball over the top for McInerney, who fought off his defender and slotted it past an out of position Sean Johnson for the goal.
Chicago had one last spectacular chance in stoppage time when the Union cleared the ball out of the area, but it fell to Chicago substitute Quincy Amarikwa, who blasted it on goal with pace, but MacMath was there once again as the 21-year-old made his seventh save of the match to make sure his side claimed a valuable three points.
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
May 11 3:46 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - McInerney 7 (Le Toux), 75th minute
Union 1, Fire 0 2nd - 80'May 11 3:30 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
May 11 2:38 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 11 1:53 PM
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- NYC snaps winless skid as Mullins leaves it late Jun 6