SKC halts Houston's historic streakMay 13, 2013 - 2:10 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Sporting Kansas City accomplished on Sunday what other teams failed to do 36 consecutive times: defeat the Houston Dynamo on home soil.
Aurelien Collin's tally late in the second half proved to be the difference as SKC toppled the Dynamo, 1-0, at BBVA Compass Stadium to snap their MLS-record 36-game home unbeaten streak.
Both teams had a handful of chances on goal in the opening 45 minutes, but neither side really looked like scoring in the first half.
After the break, Sporting had the first great chance of the second half in the 51st minute when Graham Zusi ripped a shot from outside the box on goal, but Houston goalkeeper Tally Hall got down quickly to keep it out.
The hosts responded with a chance moments later when Ricardo Clark latched on to a loose ball and unleashed a curling shot, but it sailed over the crossbar to keep the match scoreless.
Sporting KC finally broke the deadlock in the 73rd minute when defender Seth Sinovic lofted a throw-in from the left touchline into the box where Collin outmuscled his mark and got his head to the ball, nodding it past Hall and in for his second goal of the campaign.
Houston brought on veteran Brian Ching in the 76th minute to provide some offensive spark as the Dynamo had a great chance in the 79th minute as Jason Johnson, on his MLS debut, had a shot on goal that looked to be headed for the far corner, but Sporting's Paulo Nagamura was able to head it off the line.
The hosts had one final great chance in stoppage time as Ching laid one off to Brad Davis in the box for a shot, but Davis' touch on the ball was a bit heavy, allowing Sporting goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen to make the save and keep his team in front.
The result sees Sporting move into a three-way tie for second place in the East on 20 points with Houston and the Montreal Impact.
- SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 1
May 12 9:58 PM
- Kansas City Goal - Collin 2 (Sinovic), 73rd minute
Sporting Kansas City 1, Dynamo 0 2nd - 75'May 12 9:39 PM
- SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 0
May 12 8:55 PM
- SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 12 8:08 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Feilhaber powers Sporting past Sounders Jun 6
- Streaking Sporting set to square off with Sounders Jun 5
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4
- NYC, Dynamo share the spoils at Yankee Stadium May 30