Donovan, Keane shine as Galaxy crush UnionMay 16, 2013 - 1:46 AM Chester, PA (Sports Network) - The Los Angeles Galaxy put the brakes on a two-game losing streak in style on Wednesday, posting a 4-1 victory over the Philadelphia Union at PPL Park.
The Galaxy entered the match coming off a less-than-stellar 3-1 loss to the Vancouver Whitecaps, but the Los Angeles dynamic duo of Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane both had break-out games for the two-time defending champs.
Donovan scored and added two assists, while Keane returned to the starting 11 after missing six of the team's previous seven matches and added a goal and an assist. Hector Jimenez also scored for Los Angeles.
The visitors got off to a great start after Union goalkeeper Zac MacMath was unable to handle a corner kick in the box from Donovan and the ball bounced off his hands and into the net to make it 1-0 just three minutes in.
Philadelphia found an equalizer in the 23rd minute when Union right back Sheanon Williams fired a long throw-in into the box and Amobi Okugo rushed in unmarked to nod it home.
The clubs went into the locker room level, but the Galaxy seized control in the second half.
Los Angeles finally took the lead in the 71st minute with some brilliant combination play between Donovan and Keane as Donovan's cutting ball put Keane behind the Philadelphia back line and the Irish international easily beat MacMath to make it 2-1.
Nine minutes later, the Galaxy made it 3-1 when Donovan sent a nice ball over to Jimenez, who found a pocket of space on the right side of the box and fired it low to the far post.
Donovan added a goal three minutes from time to seal it for Los Angeles, which improved to 17 points on the season and will travel to Red Bull Arena to face New York on Sunday.
Philadelphia, meanwhile, remains on 15 points and will need to put this result behind them quickly as the club hosts Chicago on Saturday.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
May 15 9:29 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Donovan 2 (Keane), 87th minute
Galaxy 4, Union 1 2nd - 86'May 15 9:26 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Jimenez 1(Donovan), 80th minute
Galaxy 3, Union 1 2nd - 80'May 15 9:20 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Keane 2 (Donovan, Sarvas), 71st minute
Galaxy 2, Union 1 2nd - 75'May 15 9:12 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 1
May 15 8:24 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Okugo 2 (Williams), 23rd minute
Galaxy 1, Union 1 1st - 25'May 15 8:05 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - MacMath (OG), 4th minute
Galaxy 1, Union 0 1st - 5'May 15 7:45 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 15 7:38 PM
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12