Olave's late goal saves RBNY against CrewMay 26, 2013 - 11:12 PM Harrison, NJ (Sports Network) - Jamison Olave's goal in stoppage time rescued a point for Red Bull New York in a feisty 2-2 draw with the Columbus Crew on Sunday at Red Bull Arena.
The Crew got off the mark just two minutes into the match when Eddie Gaven threaded a through pass to the feet of Dominic Oduro, who beat several New York defenders in the box and slid it past goalkeeper Luis Robles with the outside of his right foot to give his club the early lead.
But the hosts bounced back in the 31st minute when Tim Cahill launched a long ball over the top that was badly misplayed by Crew defender Tyson Wahl. The ball fell directly to the feet of Thierry Henry, who easily chipped it over the head of Columbus goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum.
It appeared the match was headed for a stalemate until the 74th minute when Federico Higuain got in behind the New York defense and was brought down in the area as referee Geoff Gamble quickly pointed to the spot, awarding a penalty kick to the Crew.
Higuain stepped up and hammered it straight down the middle for the goal. as Robles dove to his right on the play.
New York pushed for an equalizer in the final minutes of the game and it finally came in the first minute of stoppage time when Jonny Steele lofted a ball into the Columbus penalty area for a completely unmarked Olave, who settled the ball with one touch and calmly ripped it into the top left corner of the net, leaving Gruenebaum with no chance for a save.
The result extends New York's unbeaten run in league play to seven consecutive matches. The Red Bulls have not tasted defeat since a 1-0 loss to Sporting Kansas City on April 17 and they remain on top of the Eastern Conference table with 25 points.
Columbus, meanwhile, moves into sixth place with the result on 16 points.
- COLUMBUS: 2
NEW YORK: 2
May 26 7:00 PM
- New York Goal - Olave 5 (Steele), 90th minute
Crew SC 2, Red Bulls 2 2nd - 87'May 26 7:00 PM
- Columbus Goal - Higuain 3 (PK), 74th minute
Crew SC 2, Red Bulls 1 2nd - 75'May 26 6:45 PM
- COLUMBUS: 1
NEW YORK: 1
May 26 5:55 PM
- New York Goal - Henry 6 (Cahill), 31st minute
Crew SC 1, Red Bulls 1 1st - 35'May 26 5:41 PM
- Columbus Goal - Oduro 6 (unassisted), 2nd minute
Crew SC 1, Red Bulls 0 1st - 5'May 26 5:13 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 26 5:06 PM
- Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls down NYCFC at Yankee Stadium Jun 29
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Red Bulls, NYCFC set for New York derby Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12