Henry stars as N.Y. cruises past MontrealJul 14, 2013 - 1:11 AM Harrison, NJ (Sports Network) - Thierry Henry scored one goal and added two assists to lead Red Bull New York to a comfortable 4-0 victory over the Montreal Impact at Red Bull Arena on Saturday.
The opening goal came just 10 minutes into the match when Henry fed Eric Alexander, who danced through the Impact defense before whipping a shot past Troy Perkins at the far post.
Henry extended New York's lead six minutes, snapping a four-game goalless drought by redirecting a cross from Fabian Espindola into the back of the net from close range.
Alexander nearly added another goal in the 32nd minute after collecting a pass from Markus Holgersson, but the Red Bulls winger saw his shot hit the crossbar on its way out of play.
Marco Di Vaio thought he had cut Montreal's deficit in half when he nodded home a cross in the 56th minute, but the Italian marksman was ruled offside and the goal was disallowed.
The Impact were left to rue that spurned chance as the Red Bulls ran away with the result in the final half-hour.
The Red Bulls added a third in the 63rd minute when Henry's corner kick was nodded home by Tim Cahill for his fifth goal of the season, and they wrapped up the affair two minutes from time after Lloyd Sam was tripped up in the box, allowing Peguy Luyindula to convert the ensuing spot kick for his first goal for the club.
New York (9-7-4) and Montreal (9-5-4) leave the match tied on 31 points apiece, though the Impact hold two games in hand.
- MONTREAL: 0
NEW YORK: 4
Jul 13 9:02 PM
- New York Goal - Luyindula 1 (PK), 88th minute
Impact 0, Red Bulls 4 2nd - 88'Jul 13 8:54 PM
- New York Goal - Cahill 5 (Henry), 63rd minute
Impact 0, Red Bulls 3 2nd - 65'Jul 13 8:33 PM
- MONTREAL: 0
NEW YORK: 2
Jul 13 7:57 PM
- New York Goal - Henry 7 (Espindola), 16th minute
Impact 0, Red Bulls 2 1st - 17'Jul 13 7:26 PM
- New York Goal - Alexander 2 (unassisted), 10th minute
Impact 0, Red Bulls 1 1st - 10'Jul 13 7:20 PM
- MONTREAL: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 13 7:09 PM
- Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls down NYCFC at Yankee Stadium Jun 29
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Red Bulls, NYCFC set for New York derby Jun 26
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Montreal ends Orlando's unbeaten run Jun 20
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Confident Orlando tangles with Montreal Jun 19
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19