Jean-Baptiste leaves it late as Timbers top GalaxyJul 14, 2013 - 5:28 AM Portland, OR (Sports Network) - Andrew Jean-Baptiste scored in the dying moments to give the Portland Timbers a dramatic 2-1 win over the Los Angeles Galaxy at Jeld-Wen Field on Saturday.
The two teams traded goals in the first half and it looked like it would be a point apiece for the two sides, who entered the match level on 30 points.
But the Timbers won a late corner kick deep into stoppage time and Diego Valeri's cross was headed home by Jean-Baptiste to clinch three points for his side, which moves into second place in the Western Conference with the win.
The Galaxy went in front after 17 minutes when a right-wing cross was delivered by Hector Jimenez to the head of an unmarked Marcelo Sarvas, allowing him to redirect the ball past goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts.
However, Portland responded 10 minutes later and leveled the contest on a quickly-taken free kick which played Darlington Nagbe into the area, where he squared the ball to Ryan Johnson for a simple tap in.
Los Angeles had two good chances before halftime as Omar Gonzalez saw his header come back off the post, while Ricketts produced a fine reaction save to deny Juninho's free kick.
Carlo Cudicini came up big for the Galaxy in the second half when he made a double save to keep the score even.
He first parried a shot from Frederic Piquionne and then deflected the rebound attempt from Johnson past the near post.
Gyasi Zardes had a good chance for the Galaxy snuffed out by Ricketts eight minutes from time, but Jean-Baptiste had the final say as the Timbers bounced back from a defeat against Columbus last weekend.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
Jul 14 1:19 AM
- Portland Goal - Jean-Baptiste 2 (Valeri), 90th minute
Galaxy 1, Timbers 2 2nd - 89'Jul 14 1:18 AM
- LOS ANGELES: 1
Jul 14 12:12 AM
- Portland Goal - Johnson 6 (Nagbe), 27th minute
Galaxy 1, Timbers 1 1st - 30'Jul 13 11:55 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Sarvas 4 (Jimenez, Franklin), 17th minute
Galaxy 1, Timbers 0 1st - 20'Jul 13 11:45 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 13 11:25 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13