Camilo's double powers 'Caps past FireJul 15, 2013 - 1:12 AM Vancouver, BC (Sports Network) - Camilo netted a second-half brace on Sunday as the Vancouver Whitecaps rolled past the Chicago Fire by a 3-1 score at BC Place.
Rookie Kekuta Manneh also scored for the Whitecaps, who extended their unbeaten streak to six consecutive matches and improved to 7-0-3 on home soil this season, while Camilo moves into the top spot in the MLS Golden Boot race with 12 goals.
Both sides had ample opportunities to break the ice over the first 45 minutes, but neither club was able to capitalize on its chances as they went into the halftime break on level terms.
In the second half, the Whitecaps had the better of the play and finally found the back of the net in the 66th minute when 'Caps goalkeeper Brad Knighton launched a long clearance down the right flank. Camilo raced to catch up to the ball before working his way past two Chicago defenders and firing it past Chicago goalkeeper Paolo Tornaghi.
Five minutes later, Camilo made it 2-0 for the hosts when he ran onto a nice through ball and was in on goal alone. His attempt to take it past Tornaghi on the dribble was knocked away, but he recovered the ball and fired it home through a crowd of legs for his second goal of the day.
Manneh, who came on as a substitute for Vancouver, put the result to bed in the 84th minute when he beat Tornaghi with a strike to the near post for his second goal of the season.
Patrick Nyarko pulled one back for Chicago with a header following a Joel Lindpere cross in stoppage time, but it wasn't enough as the 'Caps held on to jump into third place in the Western Conference.
- CHICAGO: 1
VANCOUVER FC: 3
Jul 14 9:06 PM
- Chicago Goal - Nyarko 3 (Lindpere), 90th minute
Fire 1, Whitecaps FC 3 2nd - 88'Jul 14 9:03 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Manneh 2 (unassisted), 84th minute
Fire 0, Whitecaps FC 3 2nd - 85'Jul 14 8:53 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Camilo 12 (unassisted), 71st minute
Fire 0, Whitecaps FC 2 2nd - 75'Jul 14 8:40 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Camilo 11 (Knighton), 66th minute
Fire 0, Whitecaps FC 1 2nd - 70'Jul 14 8:35 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
VANCOUVER FC: 0
Jul 14 7:56 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
VANCOUVER FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 14 7:08 PM
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- Whitecaps hope to end struggles at Galaxy Jun 5
- OCSC, Fire lock horns at Toyota Park Jun 5