Revs strike twice at the death to top CrewJul 21, 2013 - 1:46 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - The New England Revolution found the back of the net twice in second-half stoppage time on Saturday to claim a 2-0 victory over the Columbus Crew at Crew Stadium.
Quality scoring chances were almost non-existent for the duration of the match, but Jose Goncalves and Diego Fagundez struck late on for the Revolution, who rise to within two points of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference on 27 points.
The Revs created the best chance of the opening 45 minutes when Dimitry Imbongo fed a wide-open Chris Tierney, but his first-time shot was wide of the left post.
Columbus struggled to create many offensive chances and didn't register its first shot on target until the 66th minute of play. They created a couple half- chances late on, but were burned by defensive lapses in the last few moments.
New England finally broke through in the first minute of stoppage time as Lee Nguyen sent a corner kick into the box that was headed home by Goncalves for his first goal in MLS.
Moments later, the Revs wrapped it up as Nguyen sent Fagundez through with a nice cutting ball and the 18-year-old put it home with a calm finish.
Columbus remains in seventh place in the East with the result on 23 points from 20 matches.
- NEW ENGLAND: 2
Jul 20 9:32 PM
- New England Goal - Fagundez 6 (Nguyen), 90th minute
Revolution 2, Crew SC 0 2nd - 89'Jul 20 9:32 PM
- New England Goal - Goncalves 1 (Nguyen), 90th minute
Revolution 1, Crew SC 0 2nd - 89'Jul 20 9:31 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
Jul 20 8:26 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 20 7:39 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12