Magee powers Chicago past PhiladelphiaAug 4, 2013 - 2:10 AM Chester, PA (Sports Network) - Mike Magee continued his remarkable season by grabbing the game-winning goal in the Chicago Fire's 2-1 defeat of the Philadelphia Union at PPL Park on Saturday.
Patrick Nyarko and Sheanon Williams had exchanged goals, but Magee turned up as the match-winner, scoring his 14th goal of the campaign to help Chicago (8-9-4) improve to 28 points on the season.
Philadelphia (9-7-7) remains firmly in the playoff picture despite dropping its third home match of the season, leaving the Union in fourth place with 34 points.
Chicago got off the mark in the ninth minute when a cross from the left flank was not properly dealt with by the Philadelphia defense, which allowed Nyarko to ghost in and smash a first-time shot into the back of the net.
The Union regrouped after halftime and eventually equalized at the hour mark when Sebastien Le Toux's free kick was turned in by a fortuitous bounce from Williams.
But the Fire ultimately marched to victory after Magee collected Nyarko's pass int he 75th minute and hammered a shot into the roof of the net.
- CHICAGO: 2
Aug 3 10:03 PM
- Chicago Goal - Magee 14 (Nyarko), 75th minute
Fire 2, Union 1 2nd - 75'Aug 3 9:43 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Williams 2 (Le Toux), 60th minute
Fire 1, Union 1 2nd - 60'Aug 3 9:31 PM
- CHICAGO: 1
Aug 3 9:03 PM
- Chicago Goal - Nyarko 4 (Magee), 9th minute
Fire 1, Union 0 1st - 10'Aug 3 8:19 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
1st Half - 1'
Aug 3 8:08 PM
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- NYC snaps winless skid as Mullins leaves it late Jun 6