Revs fall to Rapids for second straight defeatJul 18, 2013 - 3:10 AM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - The New England Revolution were left to rue a second-half own goal for a second consecutive match as the club faltered in a 2-1 loss to the Colorado Rapids at Dick's Sporting Goods Park on Wednesday.
A late own goal from Bobby Shuttleworth saw New England suffer a 2-1 defeat to the Houston Dynamo at the weekend, and the misfortune carried into Wednesday's clash as Jose Goncalves turned a low cross into his net to seal the club's second straight loss.
New England (6-7-6) remains on 24 points for the season, five points back of the Dynamo, who occupy the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
Colorado (8-7-6) climbs to 30 points, winning its third match in its last four outings to move level with the Los Angeles Galaxy in the Western Conference table.
New England went one goal to the good in the 15th minute when Juan Toja's low free kick was screened by the darting Jerry Bengston, preventing Rapids goalkeeper Clint Irwin from getting a good read as he watched the ball blaze past him at the far post.
Colorado struggled to create much in the first half, but the home side managed to overturn the deficit with two goals in the span of five second-half minutes.
The equalizer came in the 62nd when Nick LaBrocca collected a pass from Dillon Powers, danced inside and fired a left-footed shot that trickled past Shuttleworth at his left post.
The Revs were unlucky to concede again five minutes later when Powers drove a low cross to the near post that was turned into the net by New England defender Goncalves.
- NEW ENGLAND: 1
Jul 17 11:05 PM
- Colorado Goal - Goncalves (OG), 68th minute
Revolution 1, Rapids 2 2nd - 68'Jul 17 10:38 PM
- Colorado Goal - LaBrocca 1 (unassisted), 62nd minute
Revolution 1, Rapids 1 2nd - 63'Jul 17 10:33 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 1
Jul 17 9:58 PM
- New England Goal - Toja 1 (unassisted), 15th minute
Revolution 1, Rapids 0 1st - 15'Jul 17 9:25 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 17 9:08 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18