Union earn first win over RapidsMar 10, 2013 - 9:26 PM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - The Philadelphia Union earned their first victory over the Colorado Rapids in franchise history on Sunday after posting a 2-1 win at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
Sunday's interconference tilt was originally scheduled to be played on Saturday, but blizzard conditions in the area caused the game to be postponed.
Having to stay on the road an extra day did not faze Philadelphia as the visitors got off the mark first for the second consecutive week.
Amobi Okugo gave the Union the lead 34 minutes into the match when he got a clean header away following a Sebastien Le Toux corner kick and powered it past a helpless Matt Pickens, who was rooted to his spot. It was Okugo's first career goal.
Colorado's fortunes changed in the second half when Jamie Smith was brought on at halftime and the move paid dividends for the home side when he found an equalizer in the 68th minute.
Smith ran onto a nice feed from Deshorn Brown and powered a left-footed strike past Philadelphia goalkeeper Zac MacMath.
But Philadelphia grabbed a winner with 11 minutes to play through Jack McInerney, who hustled to catch up to a well-placed through ball by Antoine Hoppenot and beat Pickens with a right-footed shot into the bottom left corner of the net.
Colorado had several chances in the final minutes as the fourth official's board showed five minutes of extra time, but Philadelphia's defense held firm to secure the three points.
The result marks the Rapids' first home-opening loss in nine years.
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
Mar 10 5:02 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - McInerney 1 (Hoppenot), 79th minute
Union 2, Rapids 1 2nd - 79'Mar 10 4:51 PM
- Colorado Goal - Smith 1 (Brown), 69th minute
Union 1, Rapids 1 2nd - 70'Mar 10 4:38 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
Mar 10 3:55 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Okugo 1, (Le Toux) 34th minute
Union 1, Rapids 0 1st - 39'Mar 10 3:48 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Half - 1'
Mar 10 3:09 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18