Findley, Real upset DynamoAug 5, 2007 - 4:26 AM SALT LAKE CITY (Ticker) -- Robbie Findley helped the last-place Real Salt Lake top the Western Conference-leading Houston Dynamo on Saturday.
Findley scored a late goal and Nick Rimando registered a shutout as Real snapped a four-game losing skid with a 1-0 upset victory over the Dynamo.
Findley beat the defender and blasted a shot to the far bottom corner past Houston goalkeeper Pat Onstad in the 84th minute for the game's only goal. It was Findley's fifth tally of the season.
"I think it came off [Wade] Barrett's toe or something, right into my direction," Findley said. "I saw we were 2-on-1, the defenders split and me and Atiba [Harris] were up there. I decided to take the shot. I thought I was open and I just struck it."
"He was just unbelievable the entire game," Real coach John Kreis said of Findley. "The goal really just capped off all the hard work he put into that game."
The win was just RSL's second of the season and first since defeating D.C. United on June 23.
"Probably nobody outside of our locker room believed we had a chance in that game," Kreis said.
The Western Conference-leading Dynamo were heavily favored to win after losing just once in their last 15 games but could not manage to score on Rimando.
"They took advantage of us at a very vulnerable time," Houston coach Dominic Kinnear said. "I thought we defended OK; they had a couple looks. They were sensing that they could get forward. I thought we did OK keeping them away. I didn't think they were all over us."
The 28-year-old Rimando made three saves en route to recording his fourth shutout of the year and 40th of his career.
Onstad, who was also looking for his 40th career clean sheet, made just one save.
REAL SALT LAKE 1 FINAL
Aug 4 10:57 PM
- MLS UPDATE
REAL SALT LAKE 1
REAL SALT LAKE GOAL: Robbie Findley in the 84th minute
Dynamo vs. Real Salt LakeAug 4 10:47 PM
REAL SALT LAKE 0 HALFTIME
Aug 4 9:52 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Rocky Mountain rivals meet up as Rapids face RSL Jun 5
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4