Fire, Chivas USA finish with 1-1 tieSep 30, 2007 - 6:31 AM
Chicago goalkeeper Matt Pickens was seemingly en route to picking up his eighth shutout of the season until Suarez fired a penalty shot into the right corner, tying the game in the 82nd minute.
"Just look at some of the replays it's ridiculous after they got the their goal I think they where doing the best they could to create stoppages and kill the clock give credit to my guys they fought through it and got a result," Chivas Coach Preki said.
It was Pickens' fourth penalty kick allowed this season.
Blanco put the Fire up, 1-0, in the first half with his free kick past Chivas netminder Brad Guzan in the 24 minute. Blanco has four this season goals since signing with the club on April, 3.
Despite the tie, the Fire (8-10-9) moved two points ahead of Colorado and idle Columbus for the eighth and final spot in the MLS Cup playoffs. Colorado fell earlier, 1-0, at New England.
Chicago has finished tied in each of its last four outings.
"I don't think we did anymore or less then any other team would do in the situation this was a hard game I think we set the tone of the game we played good (Saturday) well enough to win and I disagree with his description of the game," Fire coach Juan Carlos Osorio said.
With the postseason locked up for the second straight campaign, Chivas USA (14-6-6) remains undefeated over its past seven games and holds a two-point edge atop the Western Conference.
CHIVAS 1 FINAL
Sep 30 12:29 AM
- MLS UPDATE
CHIVAS PENALTY GOAL: Jorge Flores in the 82nd minute
Fire vs. Chivas USASep 30 12:17 AM
CHIVAS 0 HALFTIME
Sep 29 11:24 PM
- MLS UPDATE
CHICAGO GOAL: Cuauhtemoc Blanco in the 25th minute
Fire vs. Chivas USASep 29 11:01 PM
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- OCSC, Fire lock horns at Toyota Park Jun 5
- Chicago invades RFK to tangle with DCU Jun 2
- Impact tangle with Fire at Toyota Park May 29
- Crew SC tangle with Fire at Mapfre May 21
- NYCFC scores in extra time to earn a point with Chicago May 15
- NYCFC aims to snap skid against Fire May 14
- RSL holds off Fire to snap winless streak May 9