Scoreless draw allows Chivas to capture first conference crownOct 21, 2007 - 6:08 AM CARSON, California (Ticker) -- Perhaps it was appropriate that in a game both teams needed to claim a conference title, neither Chivas USA or the Houston Dynamo separate themselves from the other team.
Chivas USA and the Houston Dynamo played to a 0-0 draw, allowing Chivas USA to capture its first Western Conference title on Saturday.
"It's an amazing feeling," Chivas defender Lawson Vaughn said. "This was our goal from the beginning of the season. It was exciting to clinch it in the final game of the season."
The two teams have been battling all season to gain some room from the other at the top of the West.
"It was a typical game against Houston," Chivas coach Preki said. "(It was) a hard fought game."
Despite falling one point short of the new conference champions in the standings, Houston won the season series between the teams, 2-0-1. The Dynamo did not allow a single goal in the three meetings with Chivas.
Finishing second may actually be a good omen for the Dynamo, who are the defending MLS Cup champions after a similar finish last season.
There was only a total of three shots on goal during the match, and neither team seriously threatened to score.
Vaughn was red carded in the 40th minute for a serious foul, leaving Chivas one man short for over half the game.
"We came out in the first half with a game plan and I felt that it was working pretty good we we're staying organized and then the referee makes that call on Lawson," Preki said.
"It was a hard tackle but not a red card from then on we`ve got to adjust and hold on and to there credit they did I`am very proud of the guys but we`ve got four more games to play," he said.
- MLS UPDATE
CHIVAS 0 FINAL
HOUSTON - NONE
CHIVAS - NONE
HOUSTON - Wade Barrett in the 46th minute
- Patrick Ianni in the 68th minute
- Richard Mulrooney in the 82nd minute
- Brian Mullan in the 89th minute
CHIVAS - Lawson Vaughn in the 40th minute (EJECTED)
Oct 21 12:38 AM
CHIVAS 0 FINAL
Oct 21 12:28 AM
- MLS UPDATE
HOUSTON CAUTION: Wade Barrett in the 45th minute
Oct 20 11:30 PM
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4
- NYC, Dynamo share the spoils at Yankee Stadium May 30
- Houston hits the road to face struggling NYC May 29
- Dynamo, Galaxy square off at StubHub Center May 21
- Bruin's brace powers Dynamo past Timbers May 16
- Timbers hit the road to tangle with Dynamo May 15
- Houston holds off Toronto to snap winless streak May 10
- TFC heads home to face Houston May 8