Barrett strikes in first half as Fire edge EarthquakesApr 13, 2008 - 3:14 AM OAKLAND, California (Ticker) -- Chad Barrett scored in the 18th minute as the Chicago Fire edged the San Jose Earthquakes, 1-0, on Saturday.
Goalkeeper Jon Busch made nine saves for Chicago (2-0-1), which overcame a 19-9 shot disadvantage to own the best record in the Eastern Standings.
The Fire also become just the second MLS club to earn a road victory in the league in 2008.
"The win is the only thing that matters," Busch said. "One-nothing on the road, get three points, that's the only thing we really wanted that really matters.
"As for the shutout, it's everybody's. The guys in front of me today were absolutely unbelievable."
Barrett put Chicago out front when, on a breakout, Cuauhtemoc Blanco blasted a shot that San Jose goalkeeper Joe Cannon was able to deflect. Barrett raced in and punched in the rebound for his second goal of the season.
"It's really helpful on the road when you get a lead early and hold on to it," Barrett said. "At the end of last year we did it five times in a row, but we lost the lead and ended up tying. Today all the credit goes to the defense."
The 22-year-old Barrett became the third Fire player to score twice this season.
Cannon made six saves for the Earthquake (0-2-0), who were playing their first home game since re-entering the league.
"We had a great opening day, a terrific crowd," said Earthquakes coach Frank Yallop of the 20,038 fans at the home opener at McAfee Coliseum. "Our team tried hard and played well."
James Riley and Ryan Cochrane received yellow cards for San Jose, as did Bakary Soumare of Chicago also received the same penalty.
Four of the Earthquakes' shot attempts came in 4:29 of stoppage time, but one kick hit the right post and another flew over the top of the crossbar as the final seconds ticked off.
"We should have scored some goals and had some great chances," Yallop said. "Busch had some great stops"
SAN JOSE 0 FINAL
Apr 12 6:41 PM
SAN JOSE 0 END 2ND HALF
Apr 12 6:36 PM
SAN JOSE 0 HALFTIME
Apr 12 5:32 PM
- MLS UPDATE
SAN JOSE 0
CHICAGO GOAL: Chad Barrett in the 19th minute
Fire 1, Earthquakes 0 1st - 19'Apr 12 5:08 PM
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- OCSC, Fire lock horns at Toyota Park Jun 5
- Chicago invades RFK to tangle with DCU Jun 2
- Moore powers TFC past 'Quakes May 30