Dynamo douse Fire with late goalMay 18, 2008 - 5:58 AM BRIDGEVIEW, Illinois (Ticker) -- Bobby Boswell scored in the 83rd minute to lead the Houston Dynamo to a 2-1 victory over the Chicago Fire on Saturday night.
Boswell charged in on a free kick by Richard Mulrooney from the right side of the top of the box and headed home the game-winning goal.
"We saw on video during the week that they weren't real sharp on restarts," Boswell said. "I saw Richard giving the look to go quick, so I was coming up the middle and made a run. It was a good ball right to me, all I had to do was put it away."
"I think our attacking group played well," Dynamo coach Dominic Kinnear said. "From the first minute their movement, they created some good chances. Tonight a different guy stepped up and finished two chances and we got the win, and that's the most important thing."
Ricardo Clark gave Houston (2-2-4) a 1-0 lead with a tally in the 17th minute. Clark's shot from 20 yards was deflected in a crowd of players and beat Chicago goalkeeper Jon Busch, who was out of position due to the deflection.
"It just came together. I thought we played pretty well," Clark said. "I think we withstood a very good, very scary first 2 1/2 minutes from them."
Calen Carr tied the game, 1-1, with a goal in the 27th minute for Chicago (5-2-1), which entered Saturday having allowed the fewest goals in the league (three).
Carr, who was positioned in front of net, leaped and headed in a free kick by Cuauhtemoc Blanco past Houston goalkeeper Pat Onstad.
"That play is something the Cuauhtemoc and I have been working on in practice," Carr said. "It felt really good to get that goal, but obviously we didn't get the result that we wanted out of the game."
CHICAGO 1 FINAL
May 17 10:35 PM
- MLS UPDATE
HOUSTON GOAL: Bobby Boswell in the 81st minute
Dynamo 2, Fire 1 2nd - 81'May 17 10:22 PM
CHICAGO 1 HALFTIME
May 17 9:28 PM
- MLS UPDATE
CHICAGO GOAL: Calen Carr in the 27th minute
Dynamo 1, Fire 1 1st - 27'May 17 9:06 PM
- MLS UPDATE
HOUSTON GOAL: Ricardo Clark in the 17th minute
Dynamo 1, Fire 0 1st - 17'May 17 8:56 PM
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- OCSC, Fire lock horns at Toyota Park Jun 5
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4
- Chicago invades RFK to tangle with DCU Jun 2