for this game

Dube's late goal vaults Revolution past Crew

May 25, 2008 - 3:01 AM COLUMBUS, Ohio (Ticker) -- William Hesmer guessed right but it didn't matter.

Hesmer stopped a penalty kick, but Kheli Dube knocked home the rebound in the 89th minute as the New England Revolution posted a 1-0 victory over the Columbus Crew on Saturday.

Steve Ralston was tripped up in the box by Ezra Hendrickson and a penalty kick was awarded.

Hesmer guessed right and made a sprawling stop of the shot by Shalrie Joseph, but Dube got the rebound on the right side and fired the ball past a stunned Hesmer and into the upper right corner.

"It's frustrating to do the hard part and the easy part you can't make the save on," Hesmer said. "Granted it was a good strike, he's sitting there all by himself, but still after you make the save you are hoping that's the end of it."

"The goalie made a great save," New England coach Steve Nicol said. "He struck it well enough and Kheli Dube didn't switch off and he was ready for what ever happened and he put it in the back of the net."

Matt Reis stopped four shots, including a diving save of a header in the 75th minute for New England (6-1-3), which outshot Columbus, 13-12.

"I thought we did really well," Reis said. "We created chances, we got corners, we got free kicks, and we were dangerous offensively. We didn't sit back and hope for a tie."

"As a forward I try to get chances like that," Dube said. "You try to get rebounds. It just came to me and I had to make sure I finished."

Hesmer stopped three shots for the Crew (6-2-1). Columbus had been unbeaten in its last six games and it appeared they would make it seven until Hendrickson's untimely mistake.

"I've got no argument with the penalty," Columbus coach Sigi Schmid said. "Either Dube is very very fast or he was in the box a little early off the rebound. We will assume he is very fast. That's just one of those things that happen."

Prior to Dube's goal, the best scoring chance came in the 75th minute when Columbus' Frankie Hejduk sent a cross to the middle and Eddie Gaven headed the ball on net.

However, Reis made a diving save and knocked the ball away with his right hand to preserve the scoreless tie.

Columbus had another chance in the 78th minute when Alejandro Moreno grabbed a rebound off a header from Hendrickson and fired a shot off the right post.

"We had our chances," Schmid said. "I can't fault our guys for the effort."