for this game

Oduro scores twice as FC Dallas rallies past Salt Lake

May 25, 2008 - 4:57 AM By Ken Costlow PA SportsTicker Contributing Writer

FRISCO, Texas (Ticker) - With a new coach in charge of his first match, FC Dallas was hoping for a change in fortune Saturday, and they got it thanks to Dominic Oduro.

Oduro, a second-half substitute, scored twice in the closing stages to lift FC Dallas to a 2-1 win over Real Salt Lake at Pizza Hut Park.

The victory was the first for FCD since April 20 against Chivas USA, and the first home win since April 12 against New York.

The result marked the fifth time in the last eight meetings with Real Salt Lake that FC Dallas (3-3-3) escaped with a win in the final 10 minutes.

Real Salt Lake fell to 2-5-2 with the loss, their second consecutive setback. They had defeated FC Dallas by the same 2-1 score two weeks ago at home.

With his team trailing 1-0 in the 82nd minute, Oduro headed in a long pass from Drew Moor from eight yards in front for the equalizer. Then, in the 90th minute, he took a through-ball from Andre Rocha, controlled the ball with his left foot and banged in the game-winner into the right corner of the goal.

"We've been doing (long balls) in practice, and as soon as (Moor) picked his head up, I knew what he was going to do, so I just tried to be in the box," Oduro said. "It was a great cross and I had a touch on the ball. I think I really needed my first goal, which came in the last game. And like every striker knows, it's what really sets you going."

Moor said he saw a couple of FC Dallas players in the box when he lined up the pass and the ball dropped perfectly to Oduro.

"Kenny (Cooper) and Dom (Oduro) were both in there, and sometimes you try to put (the ball) into the mixture," Moor said. "I usually don't try to pick one person out, but when there are bodies in there, you just to whip the ball in and Dom was in a great spot. He still has some work to do, but that was a fantastic finish."

Real Salt Lake had opened the scoring halfway through the second half on a goal nearly identical to Oduro's winning shot. Fabian Espindola, a halftime substitution, took a through ball from Javier Morales and ripped a low bouncer past FC Dallas keeper Dario Sala from 8 yards in front to put his team up, 1-0.

Interim FC Dallas coach Marco Ferruzzi introduced three changes to the usual team lineup. Defender Aaron Pitchkolan and midfielder Bobby Rhine each started their second games of the season, while Rocha was lined up behind forwards Abe Thompson and Kenny Cooper.

Rhine's playing time was cut short right before halftime, however, as he was sent off for violent conduct after striking Real Salt Lake's Javier Morales in the face as the two tangled for a loose ball. Morales was issued a yellow card at the same time.

Less than 10 minutes before, Real Salt Lake was also reduced to 10 men as Ian Joy was sent off with his second yellow card for tackles from behind.

Real Salt Lake captain Kyle Beckerman was at a loss to explain where his team came apart in the crucial stages of the contest.

"I don't know. We had two plays with a lack of focus and it killed us," Beckerman said. "In the first half, we felt like we did well getting into halftime 0-0. We felt like we broke them a little bit when they got that red card. We did well up until that goal. We were thinking that we would at least get a tie. It comes down to a lack of concentration I guess. It was a lack of focus."

After a week of turmoil at FC Dallas that saw head coach Steve Morrow dismissed, there was a genuine look of relief on Ferruzzi's face as the final whistle blew.

"It was an emotional game," Ferruzzi said. "The boys did a brilliant job, they were spectacular tonight. A lot of heart, a lot of effort, I couldn't ask for more. (Oduro) has been training very hard coming off the goal last week, and he showed a lot of confidence. If he keeps working that way, it will be hard to keep him out of the starting lineup."