Real Salt Lake, Kansas City play to scoreless drawJun 8, 2008 - 4:35 AM SALT LAKE CITY (Ticker) -- Goalkeeper Kevin Hartman finished with seven saves to record his first shutout of the season as the Kansas City Wizards and Real Salt Lake played to a scoreless draw on Saturday.
Hartman's counterpart, Nick Rimando, made five saves for Real Salt Lake (3-5-3), which is 3-0-3 at Rice-Eccles Stadium this season. Kansas City (3-4-3) continues to struggle on the road, posting a 1-3-2 mark.
"I thought (in) the second half, our shape was a lot better and they had a lot less dangerous opportunities," Hartman said. "That being said, we didn't necessarily create as many as perhaps we'd have liked.
"Sometimes we play good soccer, but it's not necessarily effective. Like tonight, we didn't really get any opportunities."
Wizards midfielder Davy Arnaud had perhaps the best chance to open the scoring, as his strike in the seventh minute hit the crossbar.
"That was nice of the crossbar to do that," Rimando joked. "I didn't think I was going to get to it and it barely touched my finger and hit the crossbar and goes down. Sometimes, maybe last year that ball bounces in, so our luck may have changed a little bit."
In the 49th minute, Real Salt Lake midfielder Dema Kovalenko blasted a shot off a set piece which Hartman denied.
Real Salt Lake's Kyle Beckerman also had a chance in the waning moments, only to be thwarted by Hartman.
"It's definitely one that we thought was a W - we wanted to win all of (the games on this homestand)," he said. "But, you know I think the effort and the way we play was good, and if we continue that we'll be all right."
Although he would have welcomed a better result, Kansas City coach Curt Onalfo was glad to finish the extended road trip with a fine showing.
"It's not over - seven of our last eight games are at home," Onalfo said. "It will feel good to play in front of our home fans for the first time in three months."
KANSAS CITY 0
REAL SALT LAKE 0 FINAL
Jun 7 10:56 PM
KANSAS CITY 0
REAL SALT LAKE 0 HALFTIME
Jun 7 9:53 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Feilhaber powers Sporting past Sounders Jun 6
- Streaking Sporting set to square off with Sounders Jun 5
- Rocky Mountain rivals meet up as Rapids face RSL Jun 5
- Techera helps 'Caps end losing skid May 30