Arnold happy with A-League video review

Dec 16, 2017 - 2:23 AM Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold says the video review system worked well in his side's 3-1 win over Melbourne City on Friday.

The Video Assistant Referee (VAR) was used on three occasions during a hard-fought and at-times feisty A-League encounter at Allianz Stadium, as the ladder-leading Sky Blues extended their winning streak to five matches.

Sydney FC came from behind with two goals in three minutes just before halftime. Melbourne City earlier took the lead with the assistance of the VAR.

But City were reduced to 10 players with 20 minutes remaining after the VAR ruled fullback Manny Muscat had struck Michael Zullo with a stray elbow.

"I think they got them all right," Arnold said of the VAR's intervention.

"That is what they are there for.

"The goal they scored would never have been allowed without the VAR, with the referee playing on and the linesman not awarding it.

"It was a decision that went against us, but it was the correct decision so I have no problems with it."

Arnold said he didn't see a third incident involving Sydney FC striker Bobo and Muscat which resulted in the latter receiving treatment.

Video Assistant Referee Strebre Delovski said after the match that the matter was looked at, but there was too much "grey area" for any further action to potentially be taken.

Melbourne City coach Warren Joyce was reluctant to engage on the topic but his irritation was evident.

"Frustrated wouldn't come anywhere near my feelings of the events tonight," he said.

Sydney FC were unable to reproduce their sparkling performance from last weekend which produced a record 5-0 derby win over Western Sydney Wanderers.

"The whole performance was a bit flat with and without the ball.

"When you have those little bits of quality and class like we do have, and we can score those type of goals, it is a positive."

Another positive for the Sky Blues was the return of last season's star midfielder Milos Ninkovic.

The reigning Johnny Warren Medal winner played the final 20 minutes after a three-week absence with a calf injury.

Source: AAP

No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!