Spencer scores 15 to lead Liberty past SkyJul 22, 2009 - 7:18 PM CHICAGO(AP) -- Reserve guard Sidney Spencer scored 12 of her 15 points in the fourth quarter to help the New York Liberty rally for a 77-70 victory over the Chicago Sky on Wednesday.
Spencer, a third-year pro from Tennessee, hit three 3-pointers in a two-minute span late in the game.
The victory was the second straight and third in four games for the Liberty (6-8). Chicago (8-9) suffered its second home loss of the season and has now lost six of its last eight games.
The Sky led 67-61 with 5:53 left in regulation following a Kristi Toliver jumper. But the Liberty replied with an 11-0 run to take command, starting with Spencer's first three-pointer at 5:17. Her second three-pointer with 3:37 left gave New York a 69-67 lead, its first since midway through the second quarter.
Chicago closed the gap to 72-70 on a Jia Perkins jumper, but the Liberty closed the game with five unanswered points.
New York's Cathrine Kraayeveld and Shameka Christon added 14 and 11 points, respectively. Reserve Ashley Battle added 10.
Center Sylvia Fowles paced the Sky with 15 points while guard Jia Perkins and reserve Erin Thonn each had 11.
NEW YORK 77
CHICAGO 70 FINAL
Jul 22 2:26 PM
NEW YORK 18
CHICAGO 21 END, 1ST QTR
Jul 22 12:55 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8