Pondexter leads Liberty to OT winJul 21, 2010 - 3:28 AM New York Liberty beat the Connecticut Sun 82-74 on Tuesday night.
New York improved to 10-10, giving every team in the WNBA's Eastern Conference a .500-or better record.
Leilani Mitchell had 16 points and eight rebounds for the Liberty.
Connecticut (12-9) trailed 61-48 with over four minutes left in regulation, but Renee Montgomery scored 12 of her 23 points in the final 1:48 to force overtime. She made a 3-pointer with 4.2 seconds left to tie it at 72.
"This was a huge win for us," New York coach Anne Donovan said. "We just came off of an overtime game against Indiana that we didn't finish (an 84-81 loss Sunday. "Considering how they finished regulation, and Montgomery and (Tan) White just playing strong, it was great to see us regroup and really take over in overtime."
Tina Charles had 14 points and six rebounds for the Sun.
The game was tied 74-74 with 3:46 left in overtime when Pondexter made a layup to start an 8-0 Liberty run. Connecticut missed all seven of its shots in overtime.
The Sun had 20 turnovers.
"I don't think we played a great basketball game other than we got a little bit lucky at the end," Sun coach Mike Thibault said. "And you can't count on doing that stuff."
New York led 40-30 at halftime thanks to Mitchell. She scored 11 that half, including three 3-pointers.
The Liberty led 61-48 with over four minutes left in regulation when the Sun began their comeback.
Connecticut trailed 67-58 with 1:55 remaining when Montgomery got hot. She made three 3-pointers and three free throws after being fouled on a missed 3-pointer.
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22