Liberty hang on to defeat MercuryAug 24, 2011 - 4:34 AM New York Liberty rallied in the fourth quarter to take a 74-70 win over the Phoenix Mercury.
Nicole Powell added 16 points, and Plenette Pierson and Kia Vaughn scored 10 points apiece for the Liberty, winners in three of their last four.
Candice Dupree led the Mercury with 17 points, and Penny Taylor scored 14, had four assists and nine rebounds as Phoenix had its two-game win streak snapped.
Despite being without WNBA leading scorer Diana Taurasi (back spasms) for the second straight game, Phoenix overcame an 18-8 first-quarter deficit to take a 31-30 lead heading into the half.
The Mercury entered the fourth with a three-point advantage, but were outscored by 25-18 in the final stanza for the loss.
Taylor threw up a game-tying three with 11 seconds left in the game, but it failed to find the bottom of the basket and Pondexter made one-of-two free throws to ice the win.
- NEW YORK: 74
Aug 24 12:09 AM
- NEW YORK: 30
Aug 23 11:03 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Aug 23 10:13 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22