Sun take down Liberty in season openerMay 19, 2012 - 10:39 PM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Asjha Jones made the go-ahead basket with 31.4 seconds remaining, as the Connecticut Sun escaped Madison Square Garden with a 78-73 win over the New York Liberty in the season opener for both clubs.
Jones finished with 12 points and Tina Charles posted 19 points and 13 rebounds for the Sun, who had five players score in double figures but needed a late 7-0 run to come away victorious Saturday.
Cappie Pondexter paced the Liberty with 19 points, while Plenette Pierson chipped in 15 points and 10 boards in defeat. New York had eight second-chance points to Connecticut's 20.
Jones tied the game at 71-all with a fadeaway, then hit a go-ahead 16-footer in crunch time just as New York missed two free throws and three straight shots during the Sun's game-sealing run.
Both teams made the Eastern Conference playoffs last season and bowed out in the first round.
- CONNECTICUT: 78
NEW YORK: 73
May 19 6:18 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 33
NEW YORK: 41
May 19 5:05 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
May 19 4:12 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22