Pondexter's 25 leads New York over IndianaJun 4, 2012 - 12:39 AM Newark, NJ (Sports Network) - Cappie Pondexter had 25 points and the New York Liberty picked up their first win over the previously undefeated Indiana Fever, 87-72.
Pondexter's 25 came on 9-for-21 shooting. Eleven of Pondexter's 25 came in the first quarter, helping the Liberty build a 10-point lead after one.
Plenette Pierson added 16 for the Liberty, making eight of her nine free throws and grabbing five offensive rebounds.
The Liberty outscored the Fever 36-20 in the painted area. Essence Carson (16 points), Pierson and Kia Vaugh, who finished with 10 points, helped control the game down low for New York.
Tamika Catchings was one of four Fever players in double-digits, leading the way with 19 points. Katie Douglas (15 points), Briann January (12 points) and Shavonte Zellous (10 points) were the others.
The Liberty built a lead as large as 17 midway through the fourth quarter. Indiana went on a run and got within seven with just over six minutes to play, but could not pull any closer.
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22