Pondexter carries Liberty over DreamJun 6, 2012 - 1:35 AM Newark, NJ (Sports Network) - Cappie Pondexter scored 26 points to pace the New York Liberty to their first winning streak of the season with a 79-74 victory over the Atlanta Dream.
Leilani Mitchell added 18 points and Kia Vaughn tallied 15 points, eight rebounds and three blocks for New York, which was coming off a 15-point win over Indiana on Sunday. That victory came after the Liberty lost their first five games of the year.
Atlanta, which was coming off a 94-92 overtime loss against Chicago on Saturday, has dropped back-to-back contests in the regular season for the first time since July 31 - August 2 last year.
Angel McCoughtry had 21 points, 14 rebounds and seven steals for the Dream. Aneika Henry had 14 points and Sancho Lyttle ended with 12 points and nine boards.
Henry's jumper with 63 seconds left in the third boosted the visitors to a 62-61 edge going to the fourth.
Ahead 67-66 with about five minutes left, the Liberty ran off the next seven points, started by Pondexter's three-point play and capped by Vaughn's two jumpers to build an eight-point cushion.
The Dream got as close as three in the final 4.8 seconds, but Pondexter sealed the outcome by draining a pair of foul shots.
- ATLANTA: 74
NEW YORK: 79
Jun 5 9:07 PM
- ATLANTA: 43
NEW YORK: 48
Jun 5 7:56 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jun 5 7:10 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Atlanta cuts 41-year-old Milton-Jones, WNBA's oldest player May 12
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- WNBA in Big D: Wings land in Dallas, league's 1st team there May 10
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22