Shock down Mercury for first win of seasonJun 17, 2012 - 10:36 PM Tulsa, OK (Sports Network) - Temeka Johnson had 22 points, six rebounds and five assists as the Tulsa Shock earned their first win of the season with an 87-75 decision over the Phoenix Mercury on Sunday.
Riquna Williams added 19 points off the bench, while Ivory Latta and Glory Johnson scored 12 points apiece for the Shock, who improved their record to 1-9.
Including last season, Tulsa had dropped its last 15 games.
DeWanna Bonner finished with 24 points and nine rebounds to lead Phoenix, which fell to 2-7 on the year. Both of the Mercury's wins this season have come over the Shock.
Charde Houston contributed 22 points in defeat.
The game entered the fourth quarter tied at 56-56, but Tulsa opened the frame with a 13-4 run to take control.
A personal 6-2 run by Samantha Prahalis brought Phoenix within 78-73 with 1:26 left in the game, but Tulsa connected on six straight free throws before the Mercury sank another basket to pull away for the win.
- PHOENIX: 75
Jun 17 6:20 PM
- PHOENIX: 38
Jun 17 4:59 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jun 17 4:10 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA in Big D: Wings land in Dallas, league's 1st team there May 10
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- LA Sparks guard Riquna Williams to miss season with injury Mar 30
- Sparks acquire Riquna Williams from Wings for Phillips Mar 1
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8