Lawson, Sun prevail in overtimeJun 20, 2012 - 1:43 AM Uncasville, CT (Sports Network) - Kara Lawson scored 22 points and made all eight of her free throw attempts to help the Sun defeat the Fever, 88-85, in overtime.
After the Sun went scoreless in the last 2 1/2 minutes of regulation, allowing Indiana to rally from a five-point deficit, the Fever went ahead by two on a Katie Douglas jumper with 2:36 remaining in the extra period.
But just as Connecticut did a period earlier, Indiana went scoreless the rest of the way. Tina Charles scored three of her 14 points on a free throw and subsequent layup with 41.7 seconds left to put the Sun ahead for good.
After Ashja Jones blocked Indiana's Tamika Catchings, Lawson drained the clock to 5.2 seconds and made a jump shot to put the Sun ahead by three. Briann January, who went 2-for-8 from beyond the arc, missed a potential game-tying three in the final moments.
Charles added 14 points and eight rebounds for Connecticut, which moved to 9-2 this season, best in the East. Renee Montgomery and Kalana Greene had 12 points apiece in the win.
Douglas led Indiana with 23 points and nine rebounds, but the Fever dropped to 5-4. Catchings added 14 points in defeat.
- INDIANA: 85
Final - OT
Jun 19 9:17 PM
- INDIANA: 39
Jun 19 7:56 PM
- INDIANA: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jun 19 7:09 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8