Charles leads Sun past LibertyAug 19, 2012 - 1:22 AM Uncasville, CT (Sports Network) - Tina Charles made WNBA history Saturday by becoming the fastest player to tally 1,000 rebounds as the Connecticut Sun downed the New York Liberty, 85-74, at Mohegan Sun Arena.
Charles had 23 points and nine rebounds and reached the 1,000-rebound milestone in just 89 games. Kara Lawson added 21 points and Allison Hightower poured in 20 for the Sun, who have won six of their last seven games.
Cappie Pondexter and Essence Carson both scored 17 points to lead New York, which has dropped four of its last five contests.
The Sun held a 47-43 advantage at the break and extended the margin to 66-49 after outscoring the Liberty, 19-7, in the third quarter.
Connecticut scored 28 points off of 26 New York turnovers.
- NEW YORK: 74
Aug 18 9:00 PM
- NEW YORK: 43
Aug 18 7:58 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Aug 18 7:08 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22