Zellous lifts Fever over Sun in Game 2Oct 9, 2012 - 2:26 AM Connecticut Sun in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals on Monday.
With the Sun trailing, 76-74, Allison Hightower floated home a 16-footer to tie the game with 12.5 seconds left and went to the line for the back end of the three-point play with a chance to give Connecticut a one-point lead.
Hightower missed the free throw, however, and Indiana's Tamika Catchings grabbed the rebound before heaving an outlet pass down the court for Briann January.
January felt the trailing pressure on her way to the hoop, and her potential game-winning layup rolled off the iron with 5.9 seconds remaining.
January collected her own rebound and fed Zellous, who nailed a 13-footer from the left elbow, sending the Fever back to Connecticut for a deciding Game 3 on Thursday.
Zellous finished with four points and four rebounds, while Katie Douglas led the Fever with a game-high 24 points. Catchings netted 21 points in the victory for Indiana, which bounced back from a 76-64 setback in Game 1.
Kara Lawson scored 18 points, Asjha Jones added 17 points and 10 rebounds and regular-season MVP Tina Charles contributed 15 points and eight boards for the Sun, who will try to secure their first Finals appearance since 2005 in Game 3.
- CONNECTICUT: 76
Oct 8 10:01 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 43
Oct 8 8:51 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Oct 8 8:03 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8