Hayes, Dream down ShockMay 26, 2013 - 1:53 AM Atlanta, GA (Sports Network) - Tiffany Hayes had 21 points in the Atlanta Dream's 98-81 win over the Tulsa Shock in the season opener for both teams.
Sancho Lyttle added 18 points and 10 rebounds for the Dream, who lost to the defending-champion Indiana Fever in last season's Eastern Conference semifinals.
Angel McCoughtry finished with 16 points in the win.
The WNBA's third overall draft pick Skylar Diggins made her debut and netted 15 points for Tulsa, which is coming off a 9-25 mark. Riquna Williams tallied 16 of her 22 points in the second quarter in defeat.
Hayes scored eight points during a 21-6 Atlanta run that bled into the second to help the Dream take a 34-18 lead before Diggins sunk a jumper to claw the Shock within 48-44 heading into the break.
Atlanta, though, began the second half on a 10-2 burst and pulled away from there.
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Atlanta cuts 41-year-old Milton-Jones, WNBA's oldest player May 12
- WNBA in Big D: Wings land in Dallas, league's 1st team there May 10
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- LA Sparks guard Riquna Williams to miss season with injury Mar 30