Sun down Liberty in season-openerMay 26, 2013 - 1:08 AM Uncasville, CT (Sports Network) - Kara Lawson scored a team-best 23 points and Tina Charles chipped in a double-double to lift the Connecticut Sun to an 81-69 victory over the New York Liberty in the season opener for both teams.
Charles had 19 points and a game-high 13 rebounds and the Sun pulled away in the second half by outscoring the Liberty by a 41-27 count.
Lawson also added seven rebounds and five assists for Connecticut, which finished with the top record in the Eastern Conference last year but were ousted in three games to the Indiana Fever in the conference final.
Allison Hightower and Kelsey Griffin each donated 10 points to the victory.
Cappie Pondexter scored 23 points to lead the Liberty, who lost to the Sun in the conference semis last year. Essence Carson scored 14 and had eight boards.
Pondexter scored 16 in the first half and New York held a slight 42-40 edge at the break, but the Sun broke a 50-50 tie in the third with a 9-0 run to take the lead for good.
The contest was never closer than four points the rest of the way.
- NEW YORK: 69
May 25 8:51 PM
- NEW YORK: 42
May 25 7:50 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
May 25 7:07 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22