Charles leads Sun past struggling FeverJun 13, 2013 - 2:13 AM Connecticut Sun to a 73-61 victory over the Indiana Fever in WNBA action Wednesday at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
Charles shot 13-of-17 from the floor and helped the Sun accumulate a 40-30 advantage on the boards in halting a three-game losing streak. Kara Lawson added 12 points and Kalana Greene scored 10 to go with nine rebounds in the triumph.
The reigning league champion Fever fell to 1-4 on the season after hitting on just 34.3 percent of their field goal attempts and mustering a mere nine fourth-quarter points. Shavonte Zellous paced Indiana with 14 points, while Tamika Catchings had 11 in defeat.
Connecticut owned a slim 38-35 halftime edge behind Charles' 16 points on 6- of-8 shooting, and led by just one after the Fever's Erlana Larkins scored on a layup with 6:53 left to play to make it a 60-59 game.
Indiana managed just one basket the rest of the way, however, as the Sun closed out the contest with a 13-2 run in which Charles accounted for six points.
- CONNECTICUT: 73
Jun 12 9:58 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 38
Jun 12 8:51 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jun 12 8:02 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8