Lynx down Sun behind Brunson's double-doubleAug 23, 2013 - 1:12 AM Uncasville, CT (Sports Network) - Rebekkah Brunson tallied 24 points, 11 rebounds and five assists as the Minnesota Lynx routed the Connecticut Sun, 91-77.
Seimone Augustus and Maya Moore went for 18 and 17 points, respectively, in the victory while Janel McCarville dropped 11 points on 5-for-5 shooting from the field.
Minnesota, which led by as many as 19 points, now holds a one-game lead over the Los Angeles Sparks and Chicago Sky for the best record in the league.
The Sun, playing without All-Star Allison Hightower and rookie Kally Faris, got a 22-point, 12-rebound effort from Tina Charles but turned the ball over 17 times while forcing just 10 Minnesota miscues. Renee Montgomery poured in 16 points on 4-of-6 shooting from behind the arc.
Trailing by eight late in the first quarter, Montgomery sank a pair of free throws that brought the Sun within 24-18, but reserve Monica Wright drilled a momentum-shifting 3-pointer as the buzzer sounded to put the Lynx back up by nine. Minnesota shot a staggering 68 percent from the floor in the first half en route to a 50-35 halftime advantage.
Tan White's jumper with 8:18 left in the fourth quarter pulled the Sun within 72-62, however Augustus and Moore responded with consecutive baskets to end Connecticut's hopes of a comeback.
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- Minnesota Lynx No. 1 in first AP WNBA power poll May 13
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14