Catchings, Zellous fuel Fever past Silver Stars in WNBA openerMay 25, 2013 - 2:47 AM San Antonio, TX (Sports Network) - Tamika Catchings and Shavonte Zellous each netted 19 points to help the Indiana Fever pull away in the second half for a 79-64 victory over the San Antonio Silver Stars in both teams' season openers Friday at AT&T Center.
Erlana Larkins scored eight points and grabbed a game-high 12 rebounds, while Katie Douglas supplied 18 points, four steals and four assists for the defending WNBA champion Fever.
Shenise Johnson had 14 points and five boards to pace San Antonio, which is coming off six straight playoff appearances. Shameka Christon scored 10 points and Danielle Robinson dished out nine helpers and had four steals in the setback.
The Silver Stars have lost six of the last eight meetings in the series.
San Antonio jumped out to a 10-0 lead early on, but Indiana chipped back to tie the game at 30-30 on Zellous' driving layup with 3:45 left in the first half. The hosts led at the break, 35-34.
Indiana took control in the second half, outscoring the Silver Stars 23-13 in the third quarter. That included a 13-2 run, and the Fever cruised in the fourth.
- INDIANA: 79
SAN ANTONIO: 64
May 24 10:08 PM
- INDIANA: 34
SAN ANTONIO: 35
May 24 8:55 PM
- INDIANA: 0
SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
May 24 8:09 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6