Strong second half leads Fever over LibertyJul 14, 2013 - 12:18 AM Newark, NJ (Sports Network) - Erlana Larkins had 15 points and six rebounds as the Indiana Fever defeated the New York Liberty, 74-53, on Saturday.
Shavonte Zellous scored 13 points while Tamika Catchings and Briann January had 10 points apiece, with Catchings recording seven rebounds and three steals as well.
Since snapping a seven-game losing streak on June 28, the Fever have won four of their last five games.
Plenette Pierson scored 12 points off the bench for New York, while Kelsey Bone nearly registered a double-double with 10 points and nine rebounds. Cappie Pondexter also had 10 points for the Liberty.
The game was tight throughout the first half, as the two teams were tied 10 times and traded the lead on 11 occasions. Indiana had a 37-34 edge at halftime.
However, the Fever broke the game open in the third quarter, outscoring New York by a 31-6 margin for the period.
The Liberty shot just 2-for-11 in the frame, while the Fever were 11-for-19 and made five three-pointers.
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22