Silver Stars' late rally falls short as Storm hold onAug 28, 2013 - 3:14 AM San Antonio, TX (Sports Network) - Tina Thompson scored a game-high 27 points and the last of her 13 rebounds secured a 72-71 win for the Seattle Storm over San Antonio and delivered a potentially fatal blow to the Silver Stars' playoff chances.
Camille Little contributed 14 points and Tanisha Wright scored 11 for the Storm, who closed to within a half-game of third-place Phoenix in the Western Conference.
With just six games to go in the regular season, the Silver Stars now find themselves four games back of Seattle in the race for the West's final playoff spot.
Jia Perkins paced San Antonio with 17 points, but she missed a running jump shot with one second left in the fourth quarter that would have capped a late rally and enabled the Silver Stars to sweep this two-game home series.
Thompson, who grabbed the miss by Perkins, sank two free throws to put Seattle up 72-65 with 20.3 seconds remaining. However, the finish was much more dramatic after Shenise Johnson and Perkins each drained a 3-pointer.
- SEATTLE: 72
SAN ANTONIO: 71
Aug 27 10:25 PM
- SEATTLE: 31
SAN ANTONIO: 31
Aug 27 8:59 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Aug 27 8:09 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Breanna Stewart at center of the Storm as latest No. 1 pick Apr 21
- Breanna Stewart top pick in WNBA, leading 1-2-3 UConn sweep Apr 15
- UConn forward Breanna Stewart selected No. 1 overall by Seattle Storm in WNBA draft Apr 14
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14