Whalen, Lynx rout Mercury to take 1-0 lead in West finalsSep 27, 2013 - 4:51 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Maya Moore and Lindsay Whalen dropped 20 points apiece as the Minnesota Lynx cruised to an 85-62 victory over the Phoenix Mercury to take a 1-0 lead in the Western Conference Finals.
Whalen shot 10-of-15 from the field and dished out a game-high five assists in the triumph. Seimone Augustus added 18 points while Monica Wright chipped in 11 points off the bench.
Diana Taurasi paced Phoenix with 15 points and Brittney Griner, who sunk a baseline jumper late in Game 3 of the semifinals to lift the Mercury to a series win, registered 13 points and six boards. Phoenix shot just 34.3 percent from the floor and 2-for-18 from behind the arc.
Minnesota led 24-16 after the opening period but blew the game open with a dominant second quarter, in which the Lynx outscored the Mercury, 21-6. It capped the period when Moore came up with a loose ball and nailed a deep triple with a second left on the game clock. Phoenix shot just 2-for-15 in the quarter.
The two teams traded baskets for most of the third, but Minnesota ran off eight straight points early in the fourth to take a 75-44 edge.
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Minnesota Lynx No. 1 in first AP WNBA power poll May 13
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Lynx sign Czech guard Katerina Elhotova Feb 25