Griner leads Mercury over StormMay 18, 2014 - 4:57 AM Phoenix, AZ (SportsNetwork.com) - Brittney Griner scored 19 points and the Phoenix Mercury opened their season with an 81-64 win over the Seattle Storm on Saturday night.
DeWanna Bonner and Anete Jekabsone-Zogota added 11 points each as the Mercury led by as many as 22 in the wire-to-wire win.
Camille Little scored 14 to lead the Storm, who had a quick turnaround after dropping their season-opener to Los Angeles at home on Friday night.
Seattle was out-shot 55.9 percent to 33.9 percent.
Second-round draft pick Tiffany Bias had two points in 2 1/2 minutes off the bench for the Mercury in her WNBA debut.
Phoenix went 19-15 last season and advanced to the Western Conference finals, where they were swept by eventual champion Minnesota.
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Breanna Stewart at center of the Storm as latest No. 1 pick Apr 21
- Breanna Stewart top pick in WNBA, leading 1-2-3 UConn sweep Apr 15
- UConn forward Breanna Stewart selected No. 1 overall by Seattle Storm in WNBA draft Apr 14
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14