Smith, Shock keep Comets winlessJun 3, 2007 - 3:05 AM HOUSTON (Ticker) -- The unbeaten Detroit Shock simply would not lose to the winless Houston Comets.
Katie Smith had 17 points and the Detroit Shock used a decisive fourth-quarter run to defeat the Houston Comets, 77-71, on Saturday.
Smith was 4-for-11 from the field, but she made all seven of her free throws for Detroit, who went on a decisive 18-3 run to finish the game.
Cheryl Ford added 15 points and Swin Cash had 14 points for the Shock (4-0).
Michelle Snow and Tina Thompson had 20 points apiece for the Comets (0-4), who have squandered three double-digit leads this season.
For Houston, the news got even worse. Three-time WNBA MVP Sheryl Swoopes, who has seen limited action this season, will be sidelined 2-4 weeks with inflammation in her back.
- Shock overhaul continues with trade for Crossley Apr 14
- Shock send draft picks to Sun for Holt, Black Apr 7
- Shock considering trading draft picks for veterans Mar 31
- Marion Jones signs with WNBA's Tulsa Shock Mar 11
- Marion Jones signs with WNBA's Tulsa Shock Mar 10
- Shock may make move without 2 All-Stars Feb 9
- WNBA's Detroit franchise moving to Tulsa, Okla. Oct 20
- AP source: Detroit Shock are moving to Tulsa Oct 19
- Fever top Shock, reach first WNBA finals Sep 27
- Fever beat Shock 79-75 to force Game 3 Sep 25
- Zellous, Nolan help Shock beat Fever, 72-56 Sep 23
- Fever hoping to end losing streak to Detroit Sep 22