Smith propels Shock into first-place tie, fells FeverJul 21, 2007 - 1:39 AM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Katie Smith scored a season-high 28 points as the Detroit Shock posted an 89-80 victory over the Indiana Fever on Friday.
Deanna Nolan scored 19 points and Swin Cash added 12 points and six rebounds for Detroit (16-5), which has won five straight to move into a first-place tie with Indiana (16-5).
The loss ended a franchise-record six straight victories for the Fever.
Smith, who shot 7-of-12 from the floor, already had 18 points entering the fourth quarter. The 10-year WNBA veteran went 8-for-8 from the free throw line inside the final minute to lock up the win. She finished 10-of-10 from the charity stripe.
Power forward Cheryl Ford also added nine points and 11 rebounds for the Shock, who shot 53 percent (31-of-59) and never trailed in the game.
Tammy Sutton-Brown scored 16 points and reserve Tan White scored 13 for Indiana, which shot 47 percent (31-of-66).
All-Star Tamika Catchings had 12 points, eight rebounds and seven assists, but left the game with a foot injury with 6 seconds left in the third quarter after landing on the foot of a Shock player while grabbing a rebound. She did not return for the fourth quarter.
INDIANA 80 FINAL
Jul 20 9:03 PM
INDIANA 59 END, 3RD QTR
Jul 20 8:27 PM
INDIANA 43 HALFTIME
Jul 20 7:54 PM
INDIANA 21 END, 1ST QTR
Jul 20 7:26 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign WNBA finals MVP Sylvia Fowles Feb 2
- New York Liberty sign free agent Shavonte Zellous Feb 1
- WNBA free agency begins, Liberty signs Indiana guard Zellous Feb 1