Whalen, Sun hand Liberty fifth straight defeatJul 27, 2007 - 1:25 AM UNCASVILLE, Connecticut (Ticker) -- Lindsay Whalen scored 20 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead the Connecticut Sun to a 79-75 victory over the New York Liberty on Thursday.
Whalen, who had 33 points in Tuesday's loss to the Detroit Shock, also collected eight assists and four steals.
Asjha Jones, who scored 16 points, broke a 75-75 tie when her hook shot banked in with nine seconds remaining. Evanthia Maltsi then secured the Sun's triumph when she intercepted Liberty guard Loree Moore's inbound pass.
Erika De Souza had 16 points with nine rebounds and four blocks and Katie Douglas added 11 points for Connecticut, which shot 41 percent (28-of-68) from the field and outrebounded New York, 43-26, en route to its seventh win in its last eight games.
The Liberty was led by Janel McCarville, who scored a career-high 24 points and grabbed 10 rebounds with four steals.
Moore had 14 points and Shameka Christon added 11 for New York, which shot 42 percent (25-of-59) in its fifth consecutive loss.
NEW YORK 75
CONNECTICUT 79 FINAL
Jul 26 8:54 PM
NEW YORK 53
CONNECTICUT 53 END, 3RD QTR
Jul 26 8:21 PM
NEW YORK 36
CONNECTICUT 31 HALFTIME
Jul 26 7:49 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22