Lynx end Monarchs' spell behind Augustus' career gameJul 30, 2007 - 3:51 AM SACRAMENTO, California (Ticker) -- Seimone Augustus scored a career-high 39 points as the Minnesota Lynx posted a 78-73 victory over the Sacramento Monarchs on Sunday.
Augustus' stellar game ended an 11-game skid against the Monarchs. At one point, she scored 19 consecutive points for Minnesota, accounting for the final 12 at the end of the first half and tallying the first seven of the third quarter.
Following a jumper from Noelle Quinn to give the Lynx a 69-55 lead at the 5:32 mark of the final quarter, Nicole Powell poured in 11 of her career-high 29 points for the Monarchs to trim the deficit to 75-73 with 18 seconds remaining in the contest.
After a free throw from Svetlana Abrosimova increased the lead to 76-73, Powell and Kara Lawson combined to miss three shots in the last 14 seconds of the contest.
Augustus hit two free throws with no time remaining to account for the final margin.
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Minnesota Lynx No. 1 in first AP WNBA power poll May 13
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Lynx sign Czech guard Katerina Elhotova Feb 25
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign WNBA finals MVP Sylvia Fowles Feb 2
- WNBA free agency begins, Liberty signs Indiana guard Zellous Feb 1