Taurasi catches fire in Mercury victory over Silver StarsAug 3, 2007 - 2:32 AM SAN ANTONIO (Ticker) -- Diana Taurasi scored 24 points and had a big finish to the third quarter to lead the Phoenix Mercury to an 84-79 victory over the San Antonio Silver Stars on Thursday.
San Antonio led 58-51 with just under two minutes left in the third before Phoenix scored 11 straight points.
Kelly Mazzante hit a layup to make it 58-53 and then Taurasi caught fire, hitting three consecutive 3-pointers to give the Mercury a 62-58 lead with 18 seconds left in the quarter.
Phoenix (16-9) never trailed the rest of the way and moved into first place in the Western Conference with its sixth straight win.
Shanna Crossley scored 21 points off the bench for San Antonio (18-10), which has dropped two straight.
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6