Thompson's big fourth quarter helps Comets edge LynxAug 5, 2007 - 2:43 AM MINNEAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Tina Thompson scored 26 points and grabbed 10 rebounds as the Houston Comets edged the Minnesota Lynx, 80-77, on Saturday.
Reserve Latasha Byears scored a season-high 17 points and Hamchtou Maga-Ba scored 12 for Houston (10-18), which moved to within three games of the Seattle Storm (13-15) for the fourth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
The Comets have won all three of their contest against the Lynx in 2007.
Seattle hosts first place Phoenix later on Saturday.
Thompson, who connected on 6-of-18 from the floor, scored 16 of her total in the fourth period to help Houston rally from a 57-53 deficit entering the period.
After Svetlana Abrosimova hit a jumper with 1:04 left to cut the Lynx deficit to 76-75, Thompson made two free throws with 51 seconds remaining to give the Comets a three-point lead. The All-Star then made the second of two from the charity stripe with 22 ticks on the clock to give Houston a 79-75 lead.
Thompson converted 13-of-15 free throws for the Comets, who shot 40 percent (24-of-60).
Seimone Augustus scored 24 points and Nicole Ohlde added 12 for Minnesota, which shot just 32 percent (25-of-79) and has lost six of seven against Houston.
MINNESOTA 77 FINAL
Aug 4 10:07 PM
MINNESOTA 57 END, 3RD QTR
Aug 4 9:35 PM
MINNESOTA 30 HALFTIME
Aug 4 8:56 PM
MINNESOTA 12 END, 1ST QTR
Aug 4 8:30 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Minnesota Lynx No. 1 in first AP WNBA power poll May 13
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Lynx sign Czech guard Katerina Elhotova Feb 25
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign WNBA finals MVP Sylvia Fowles Feb 2
- WNBA free agency begins, Liberty signs Indiana guard Zellous Feb 1